One of my best girl friends is currently living in Duluth for school. While we were up visiting (oh and running a half marathon) for the weekend, we took a trip over the bridge to Superior, Wi for a “must try” burger at the Anchor Bar. I must say, I was skeptical, but who was I to turn down a great burger? I had a burger topped with cream cheese and jalapenos.
This gave me a wonderful idea to try at home! I love experimenting with turkey burgers, and everyone seems to love stuffing burgers with cheese, so why not cream cheese and jalapenos? The first time I made these burgers over the summer, it was a bit of a fail. I didn’t season the turkey well enough, but this time they turned out perfectly! The warm cream cheese oozes out when you bite into it making it super juicy and ultra flavorful, and the jalapenos are a wonderful spicy surprise. Don’t worry if you’re heat sensitive though, the cream cheese cools it down, and you could even saute them a bit to take some of the heat out. Ground beef could be substituted for turkey. You could also grill these burgers, which we would have done had we not been on the verge of a snow storm. This will be on the burger list this summer! Who’s coming over?
Cream Cheese and Jalapeno Stuffed Turkey Burgers
Source: Pigzilla Original (insprired by the Anchor Bar)
Servings: Makes 4 large burgers
8 oz. light cream cheese
4 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
1 tbsp olive oil
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
1. In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and jalapeno together. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix worcestershire sauce, pepper, salt, and ground turkey. Be cautious not to over work the turkey; this will make it dry.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 equal parts and make each into a large flat patty, again being cautious not to over work the turkey. Add a small spoonful of the cream cheese mixture to 4 patties. Take the remaining 4 patties and sandwich the others with the filling, tightly pinching the edges to seal in the cream cheese mixture.
4. Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers 8-10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
5. Garnish with red onion, Romain lettuce, and a touch of the remaining cream cheese jalapeno mixture.