I mentioned that earlier this week that we finally got to enjoy our deck over the weekend. On Monday, we actually got to eat dinner on our deck. It really couldn’t have been more beautiful outside. I made dinner while Nate did some homework, and then we enjoyed the rest of the sunlight outside with a bottle of wine. Now, if the weather would just stay warm…all would be happy!
We had our neighbors over for dinner last Friday and I made cream cheese and jalapeno stuffed burgers. I had leftover jalapeno cream cheese mixture, so it was the perfect opportunity for me to make this stuffed chicken recipe I’d saved for some time. Nicole’s recipe calls for panko, and it’s usually a staple in my pantry, but I was out. I wasn’t up for making an additional stop on my way home from work – I was excited to get home and run outside in this gorgeous weather! So instead of panko, I just used regular bread crumbs I had in my cupboard. Also, I only used cheddar in Nate’s chicken, of course. I liked mine just fine with just the cream cheese and jalapeno mixture.
I was sort of expecting the filling to ooze out while the chicken was cooking, but it didn’t at all. I used four toothpicks in each piece of chicken, so once I took them out, the inside did start to dribble out, but it only made the meal look that much more delicious! The taco seasoning in the bread crumbs was genius, as was toasting the bread crumbs before breading and baking the chicken. I think that’s what gave it the extra crisp! I loved the combination of the cream cheese and jalapenos!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken
Source: Adapted from Prevention RD
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (panko preferred, but I used regular)
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp taco seasoning
2 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1/4 cheddar cheese, shredded
2 jalapenos, minced (seeded if you want to reduce the heat)
2 chicken breasts (I used only one because it was giant)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray with cooking oil.
2. In a small skillet, combine breadcrumbs and oil over medium heat. Cook until breadcrumbs are golden and crispy, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a shallow dish. Add the taco seasoning to breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
3. In another shallow dish, lightly beat an egg. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese and jalapenos.
4. Using a small knife, cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast. Try to get as deep as possible without puncturing the opposite side. Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly and spoon into each chicken breast pocket. Use toothpicks to secure.
5. Dip chicken in egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs, making sure to evenly and completely coat the chicken. Place chicken on prepared wire rack on baking sheet and cook for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is completely cooked through.